Truth be told, sometimes day to day life with three young kids can feel like a slog. The constant chores, diapers, laundry, cooking, dishes, potty-training, sweeping, vacuuming, compost dumping, egg gathering, making sure little feet don’t have chicken poo on them, coming up with the exact length and weight that a T-Rex Whale would be if it existed . . . my days are full.
But of course there are the times they’re asleep, or playing nicely together in what they call “the dirt box,” or hugging each other instead of fighting, and somehow it convinces me not to throw in the towel just yet!
And besides, I’d be remiss to overlook all the little joys that add up to make a family’s life. My blessings of this past month include:
- Fishing with Mamaw and Papaw . . . watching Rig throw a perfect cast and enjoying the kids’ enthusiasm when making a catch!
- Sitting on a balcony in Estes Park listening to the constant rush of the river below. If only I could move to that balcony . . .
- Roasting marshmallows and hot dogs with Mamaw and Papaw and our host family on the farm.
- Later in the month, a hot dog roast with good friends on a sunny hot Memorial Sunday, right before the cooling rains hit.
- Firebell’s braided buns
- The soothing sound of rain on our roof and the fresh smell of rain out our windows.
- Taking family pictures of the five of us, on Easter at church and in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Rescuing our photos from a drenched box left out in the rain and smiling at our discoveries . . .
- Walking briskly hand in hand with Big out through the big pasture at night under the full moon to check on the wagon chickens.
- Discovering a newborn baby calf one morning! We even found the remainder of the bag of waters, so we knew just right where it had been born. So far, the ruddy brown calf with a white spot is being called Brown Sugar by the kids.
- Rhubarb pie and fellowship with a friend who has such patience with our kids!
- Big Country dancing with Firebell to festive krummhorn music one morning as we made breakfast.
- Thunder Snow! Snuggling warm and cozy under our quilts at night, with hot chocolate and skillet potatoes in the morning. But I am glad we soon returned to a lush green Spring.
- Rig and Firebell prancing and hiding in the tall grass and purple wildflowers, pretending to be tigers.
- Climbing hand in hand with Rig to the top of a grassy hill overlooking the foothills and the town of Bellvue.
- The three kids, including baby Hazelnut, sitting together in the sandbox, absorbed in play.
- A last minute business trip of sorts, in a light-filled, well-appointed cabin in Estes Park next to another cabin with Big’s boss and family. The men washed windows at a new hotel by day, and we all enjoyed two fun dinners together in the evening.
- A sunny pool day with friends. Dangling my feet in the water and dunking baby’s chubby legs.
What are your reasons for joy this month? I would love to hear from you!