Tasty, healthy, homemade snacks for on the go (not to mention for all the autumn potlucks!) are the best. Here’s my favorite version of the energy bar, a versatile gluten free treat to pack and share. Feel free to substitute with your favorite nut butter, or more nuts if you don’t have cacao nibs.
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (we love dates!)
- 1/3 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- coconut oil for greasing the crock
- parchment paper
- Cut a piece of parchment paper into an oval, using the bottom of the Crock-Pot as a template. Grease the bottom of the crock with coconut oil. Then place the parchment paper oval in the bottom of the crock, with paper going up the sides. Grease the paper.
- Melt peanut butter and maple syrup. You could use a glass jar or metal mixing bowl set in a pan of water on the stove.
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk, salt, spices, then the rest of ingredients.
- Pour into slow cooker, and cook on Low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, when bars are set.
- Carefully lift out the parchment paper with the cooked product. Let cool, and slice. Enjoy!